Tuesday, November 16, 2010

730 Day Anniversary - 11/16/2008


No matter how you look at it....730 days, 104 weeks, or 2 years, this TBI journey has been anything but dull! Today marks the anniversary of my fall...tomorrow marks the day I was diagnosed with a Traumatic Brain Injury. It's amazing how much has changed over the past 2 years and yet, how much is still the same.

Things that were once foreign...the word TBI, knowing every Doctor could have the word "neuro" before their specialty, the words Frontal lobe, Temporal and Occipital Lobe, Post Concussive Syndrome, Cognitive Rehab, SHIP, and TBI Support Groups are just few of the things that are now part of my every day life. I never would have thought that every light would be too bright, every noise...too loud, every smell...too strong. I couldn't have predicted that something could ever stall (as I refuse to say "prevent") me from accomplishing goals no matter how much I put my heart and mind into it.

When your brain is injured, everything changes. Most of the time, it's the people closest to you who can see it. The people who have walked in similar shoes can relate to it. And those that specialize in it medically can understand (but not always treat it).

Although there have been drastic modifications to my life over the past 730 days, some things have managed to stay the same. I can still, on most days, find humor in just about anything! Daily Cognitive Rehab I will tell you is not easy! The exciting part, is in Occupational Therapy you get to go on field trips! YUP! I'm not sure yet if we will all be tethered by velcro leashes, but if you have trouble "out" somewhere, they will take you there and work with you. It took me some time to ponder this one and after careful consideration of places that over stimulate my brain, I concluded we definitely needed to hit the bar scene! Leave it to me to try and score free cocktails and a night out as part of REHAB! (It just sounds wrong! LOL)

730 days later, I am still thankful for the unwaivering support and strength that I draw off each and every one of you reading this. Today I celebrate and thank YOU from the bottom of my heart!

8 comments:

  1. If you get to go out, you need to try a field trip to Pennsylvania to go to a bar here. C'mon, it would be therapy for both of us!! Love you and your humor and your scramble. We both have crappy days and we both try to laugh!
    Happy 2nd re-birthday to you!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing in every way <3
    Happy Anniversary, every day you prove not only to the world but also to yourself that you totally rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Michelle, I had no idea this happened to you. My heart screams out to give you a hug. I know first hand how traumatic a brain injury is. About 8 months ago my dad had an emergency cratiotomy. He had been a pretty bad car accident in January...for some unknown reason they never did a catscan of his head. Over 9 weeks we watched him slowly start to act strange and the left side of his body began to not work basically. So one day after he had wet his pants...my brother and I took him to the hospital - and after they did a catscan they found a huge subdural hematoma! It shifted his whole right side of his brain. So I can totally understand with you...seeing nero before every Dr.s name! Thanks be to God - my dad at 75 years of age has recovered wonerfully. He did suffer a pretty bad seizure about 72 hours after surgery. The Dr. had come in to tell him he was going to walk that day...and my dad was so excited that it brought on a seizure after all the meds to calm his brain - the emotional excitement triggered the seizure.

    One day at a time kiddo! Praying for you through all your OT!!

    Praise the Lord you still have your effectious humor in all of this! A lot of your posts now make more sense to me :)

    Blessings to you and your family, Michelle!

    xoxo
    Elaina

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle,
    You inspire me, give me strength, and always remind me that no matter what you are given to face it with grace, dignity and poise!All which you do daily! You truly are a very stong woman who I am proud to know!
    Love you,
    Joyce
    P.S. Tony is home at my mom's and accepting calls! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle,
    Stunned as I am about the injury I am not surprised to see how you have overcome these difficult times. Now knowing what you have had to endure for the past 2 years I see you as my hero. To keep strong on days that you can not get through but still not let adversity get the best of you I commend you, truly. Your strength your courage and love is a true inspiration.

    I hope to get a chance to see you someday soon and give you a big hug. You have a beautiful son which is a gift that you need to strive towards everyday, and family support .

    CONGRATS on the 2 year mark, if ever I can do anything please I am here, wether to listen, laugh,or cry with you, whatever I can do.

    LOVEYA
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the firs time I have read your bog. I am a 32 year survivor and you have it right. We have to learn to laugh about ourselves. I have watched many of us that can't laugh and their lives are miserable. Life goes on and so do we. It is all what you make of it. You are on the right trail. a TBI friend, Lee Staniland

    ReplyDelete
  8. You ROCK, Michelle! Love your spunk. Thanks so much for sharing. Will call soon. I have a craft show this Saturday. I have plenty of needles...LOL
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete